Monday, July 30, 2012

Pain

I'm going to share some thoughts on pain. Not the usual light-hearted Elasticpantcity material but since I know so many people who face both physical and emotional challenges, I thought I'd bring some words of comfort derived from my own personal experience of pain.


"Nothing begins, and nothing ends,
That is not paid with moan;
For we are born in other's pain,
And perish in our own."
-- James Kenneth Stephen

That is a really depressing thought if I were to believe that life on earth is all there is. Instead I have an eternal hope that does not perish or fade (that's what Amazing Grace is all about), even while my body does. For most of my life I have suffered with chronic acute pain. I had my first migraine when I was nine and they have plagued me through out my life. My migraines are brought on by stress, certain food, pain (ironically), and hormone shifts. Chronic pain becomes a state of being that you adapt to in order to survive. It's not always possible to find a dark room, a bed, and peace and quiet in order to recover quickly. Especially not with two rambunctious boys. God has given me the grace to survive day-to-day life, even when in severe pain. Currently I am also facing the chronic acute pain of gall bladder attacks and at times it is very debilitating. Pain may shadow me through out the course of my life but thank goodness for amazing grace and the hope of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment