Thursday, May 26, 2011

Learn As I Go

I'm finally understanding the joy of baking and have been experimenting with some "weird" recipes. They only sound weird, I swear my latest batch of biscuits were delicious! They were sugar cookies with kalamata olives in them. Sweet and salty. What a great combination and even better when eaten with a Caesar in hand (virgin of course. Woe to diet limitations during pregnancy!) 

I'd like to pretend this baking experience was of Martha Stewart standards but unfortunately it was not without incident. First of all I didn't have wax paper to prevent the dough from sticking when being rolled out. I grabbed Levi and ran upstairs to borrow some from our neighbors. Problem solved. 

I also discovered I do not own a single cookie cutter. I cut the dough with a pizza cutter. It did not make for pretty looking biscuits. The really epic error was deciding that wax paper was the same as parchment paper and therefore safe to bake the biscuits on. It's not. The wax paper melted, then smoked and turned our house into a haze. Levi was all, "what the heck is my mom doing!" Needless to say the first batch were burned to a crisp. The second batch turned out much better. Lesson learned. 



This surprisingly delicious recipe is from one of my latest and favorite blog finds, Pinecone Camp. If you want to see how pretty these biscuits can look, visit here.

2 comments:

  1. hello....whats a ceasar? I am planning on making these and I wasnt sure on what kind of cocktail to serve with them.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever need to borrow parchment paper... we have a lot at our house, and a little goes a long way.

    @ shellie: about the same as a Bloody Mary in the States, but with more of a kick. :)

    ReplyDelete