Monday, December 6, 2010

Sobering

Ben and I had a child-free day to do some Christmas shopping. While we were downtown we noticed an interesting scene at the Vancouver Art Gallery. A pathway of women's shoes with no feet in them led up to the steps of the gallery which were covered with 100s of heels, runners, sandals, etc. At first I thought it was an awesome exhibit all about kicks. 

I found out it was so much more. 

The purpose of the empty shoe display was to raise awareness of the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women. It was a sobering moment. As I took these pictures I was silent, thinking in particular of the many women who have been murdered or gone missing in "Beautiful" British Columbia. I also thought about how violence against women effects me directly. After all, isn't it for fear of violence that I don't walk at night by myself? 

To find out more information about this day go here


No comments:

Post a Comment